Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Is this real life?


We made it! Airplanes are SO cool!!! I forgot how much fun taking off is cause it’s like going on a roller coaster. I slept a little bit, but not much so the first day was really long. On our second flight we sat next to a very interesting character from Canada. This guy has seen the world and wasn’t shy about talking about it. I felt kind of bad because I fell asleep mid story at one point!  When we got to the airport our bags were there and everything so it seemed like things were going smoothly! Finding our ride was definitely interesting. We had people asking “Taxi, taxi?” constantly when we made it outside to the exit (in the beautiful Costa Rican air). So this guy comes up to us and asks us if we’re volunteers at a school, says he knows Mario and to come with him (seemed super sketch, but we didn’t know what to do).

So, naturally, we followed him and he made a few phone calls and talked with us a little, but he spoke so fast it was hard to understand. Finally, I saw a man walking towards us with a HUGE smile and arms wide open and I knew instantly that was Papí. He took our bags and we were off to Guácimo! We were literally driving through the rainforest and it was the coolest experience. I was speechless and I really have no idea how to explain it…we were surrounded by these lush, green walls and it was just incredible. We drove through 3 of the 5 provinces until we reached Limón (where I am) and the temperature change between all of them is crazy! It was warm where the airport was, then in San Jose it was hot, then in Limón it is warm, but cool at night (with a fan and windows open). When we arrived at our home, Mamí was waiting outside and gave us a warm welcome.

Sunday we went to Puntarenas, which means we already made it through the other two provinces in Costa Rica. I cannot even explain how warm it was…32 degrees Celsius (I still need to look that up and see how hot it was…). Church felt so new, because they are extremely passionate and hearing everything in a different language was a little difficult. Afterwards, we went to the beach. I finally got to see the ocean!! I couldn’t believe how warm and refreshing the water was! Speaking with people was starting to come more easily, but the sun was getting to me towards the end of the day, so it became more difficult. I had no idea how draining only speaking Spanish would be, but I’m constantly thinking and my poor head never has a break. I’m hoping that will go away soon!


 New Things I love
-       I got to see the ocean!!!
-       Sunset over the ocean – absolutely breathtaking
-       Spanish all the time
-       Pura Vida – completely new lifestyle…I never know what time it is
-       I see green everywhere I go….This country is absolutely beautiful!
-       Fresh bananas off of the tree in our backyard
-       Limon dulce – a fruit that tastes like lemonade
-       Fresh coconut
-       Pinto – rice and beans
-       Yucca…it’s shaped like a carrot and grows underground, but tastes like a potato that has salt and butter on it without any seasoning—and it’s sweeter too! (we get these in the garden in our backyard)
-       Yampi…also like a potato, but softer and sweeter. I really really like this one!
-       Mamí and Papí, along with all of the people I have met so far…they have the most beautiful personalities…I can’t even describe how kind and welcoming they have been


Things that are different
-       Toilet paper goes in the garbage
-       Drinking water from the faucet…it’s ok from my house, but not everywhere
-       Public restrooms…they don’t exist here (if they do, you pay to use them)
-       Bubblers don’t exist (it’s a bubbler, not drinking fountain, for my friends from Chicago)
-       Hot water…especially in the shower. It’s super refreshing, though!
-       Clocks are rarely seen
-       Stop signs are more like suggestion signs…I would never be able to drive here cause they are fearless. A semi passed our bus at one point on Sunday in a no passing zone.
-       Taxis are literally (I’m having a Robin moment haha) everywhere and we live right by a bus terminal
-       No cell phone or my car
-       It’s never quiet at night (we’re half a block away from a noisy bar and the cars are very loud)
-       Getting the money I need when I need it was difficult at first, but that’s all sorted out
-       Using colones (Costa Rican money)…I have to double what the price is to think of what it is in U.S. dollars and they are all in “miles” so that makes it seem like a thousand, but it’s not. Their money looks SO cool!
-  Dishwashing Paste is used instead of liquid
-       The English language is never spoken unless Sarah and I are catching up or doing something together, which has helped us learn a TON!
-       Aldo’s pizza…I miss that already! 

No comments:

Post a Comment